Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Good Decision, An Epiphany & Renewed Interests

GOOD DECISION - Back in July, I started the enrollment process for ITT. It felt good, I need to get my career off the ground, as it has plateaued. Fast forward to two weeks ago one morning. I'm checking out ITT reviews online and it turns out they are not an accredited college and the faculty must meet quotas, it seems. This puts more emphasis on the almighty dollar than the students and coursework. Students are passed or failed on whims and quotas. The nail in the coffin was the fact that most employers disregard "degrees" from ITT as anything more than a GED, if that. That would have been an expensive mistake that would have not only affected me but my family as well. Needless to say, I began pacing back and forth and had an anxiety attack. That same day I rushed to Schenectady County Community College to speak with an advisor and she confirmed my trepidation. Everything worked out fine, as I'm enrolled in SCCC to finish my associate's degree this Fall semester.

EPIPHANY - I recently started another project that involved organizing and cataloguing my collection of console videogames so that when company is over I don't have to play twenty questions when they ask me what they want to play. I narrowed it down to 7 genres and 7 traits (exploration, customization, loot, etc.) which had their own color coding. While further looking into videogame traits to add to the list, I came across a big list of videogame concepts. Ninety percent of the traits were garbage and irrelevant, but I cherry picked the ones that were and put them in a spreadsheet under 5 distinct categories. While I won't divulge those categories, my epiphany was that every single videogame has at least one trait in these categories, and that genre standardization can be realized for gamers. I've come up with 14 prime genres that can be reused as descriptor genres like Action RPG. RPG would be the prime and Action would be the descriptor. So right now my main project is writing an academic paper complete with abstract, figures, and appendices entitled "The Case for Video Game Genre Standardization and the *** Method". I'm also looking to start my own wiki that will basically just be a list of all the videogames I can fit on there and the act of categorizing them and adding traits while inviting contributors I can give credit to on the dissertation when it's finally written. That would definitely give a boost to the validity of my concepts.

RENEWED INTERESTS - When I heard Gran Turismo 4 was coming out, I didn't care. Hated GT3. Same with GT5 recently, didn't care. However, an article on Kotaku mentioned an RPG side to it that involves managing drivers and AI and holy crap it looks so good. Torchlight 2 is coming out next year and Runic Games admitted they should have put multiplayer in it, so TL2 is getting multiplayer. It's what TL1 needed, as it's kind of a lame version of Fate. And now that I've collected pretty much all the PS1 & PS2 games I want to own, I can turn my attention to new releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment