Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ramblings 009

So I Got A Wii

My girl got it for me Valentine's Day and it's definitely proven a bunch of fun packed into a monkey cage. I'm addicted to Wii Sports bowling and Super Paper Mario is a blast. Admittedly I haven't tried Opoona and have barely played Batallion Wars 2, but all in due time. I'm looking forward to getting Super Mario Sluggers as soon as I get a friggin job around here near Albany, NY which is almost impossible. One fear I had in plunking down money for a Wii has reared its ugly head in a tangible manifestation - lack of option to play games using the Wiimote as an actual controller. The only reason I got a Gamecube was to play Metroid Prime which was great. Exploration-heavy. Hours on end using a comfortable controller. I bought Metroid Prime 3, however and was shocked to find my hopes and dreams shattered in the matter of one minute of play. There's no option to aim or use the grapple beam with regular controller presses. And I sure as hell will not be waving my arms around like Harry Potter for 10+ hours. Apparently, MP3 is much more combat oriented as opposed to the previous two installments, as exploration as taken a back seat to semaphore-flag-waving-action. I have hope, however, for the Wii. For example, Arc Rise Fantasia looks like a promising turn-based RPG for the Wii. But I was practically weaned on joysticks and d-pads since 1985, so I will continue my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment